Trash and recycling
- Set out trash and recycling before 7 a.m. on the day of collection, but no earlier than 30 minutes before closing the previous evening.
- Use proper containers (trash cans, sealed plastic bags, dumpsters). Recycling should be put out in recycling bins, available for pickup at Old City District (call in advance to confirm availability). The City of Philadelphia will not recycle materials in plastic bags.
- Recycle flattened cardboard, mixed paper, glass, metal and plastices (#1-#7).
- Commercial properties must complete the online form at www.phila.gov/streets/CRPlan.
- On first-floor, along street front: Old City District: 215-592-7929
- Above first-floor level: call 311 or fill out a form online with the Anti-Grafitti Network
Please report any incidence of crime that you observe. Depending on the type of incident, call the appropriate agency at the numbers below and give a detailed description.
- For serious crime such as robbery, auto theft, assault or another emergency, call 911
- For the criminal intelligence unit citizen tip line, call 215-685-1137. You can report any crime here, and the call and report will be completely confidential.
- For a public nuisance that is not an emergency, call 215-686-5819.
- To report an abandoned car call 215-683-2277, or file a form online
Philadelphia Police Department
- For emergencies, Dial 911
- For non-emergencies, Dial 311
- Within six hours of the end of a snowfall or freezing rain, owners, agents and tenants must clear a path at least 36 inches wide on their sidewalks, including curb cuts.
- Do not shovel or sweep the snow into the street.
- The penalty for violating this regulation can range from a minimum fine of $50 up to $300 for each violation.
Private plows piling snow in the street after city teams have cleared the road is illegal, as well as hazardous to drivers and pedestrians.
- To report a sidewalk or curb cut that has not been cleared, call the Streets Department Customer Affairs Unit at (215) 686-5560
- Project H.O.M.E. Outreach Hotline: 215-232-1984 (24 hours)
- Sgt. Harper, Homeless Unit, Philadelphia Police Department: 215-686-3099